Buying Auto Insurance: 7 Tips
- Understand how your rate is decided — Different people can have vastly different auto insurance rates. Companies can consider many factors when calculating rates, including the following:
- Previous insurance claims and driving record
- Credit rating and whether you have failed to pay premiums in the past
- Risk factors for accidents such as age, gender, and marital status
- Type of vehicle you drive and how often you drive
- Whether you live in a rural or urban area
- Discounts may be available — Many auto insurance discounts may be available for safe drivers, students with good grades, having multiple policies from the same company, among others. An experienced agent can check to see if you qualify for any helpful discounts.
- Understand no-fault insurance — Both New Jersey and New York are no-fault insurance states, which means that you will be compensated under your own policy whether or not you were at fault in an accident. Consider this when you are determining how much coverage to purchase.
- Explore optional coverage — While the law requires you have a certain amount of coverage, most people benefit from purchasing coverage above and beyond what is required. Some policies include comprehensive, collision, and uninsured motorist coverage. Other policies will cover tows, rental cars, and medical payments until you receive a settlement.
- Compare pricing — Each insurance company has its own system for determining rates, so prices can vary from company to company. Getting quotes from various companies can be tedious, but the good news is that our experienced agents can take care of price comparisons for you!
- Research the company — Unfortunately, there are unlicensed insurance companies out there that can take advantage of policyholders by never paying their insurance benefits. If you work with one of our qualified agents, we take care of the research for you and we only work with valid companies.
- Understand your policy — When you pay for auto insurance every month, you should know exactly what you are paying for! However, policies can include complex language and fine print that can make it difficult to comprehensively understand your policy. Our agents will fully explain all aspects of your policy to you so have a full understanding of your auto coverage.
Call our Office for More Insurance Information Today!
If you need auto insurance or would like to compare quotes, please do not hesitate to call D’Agostino Agency Insurance at 609-561-8404 for help today.